Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hot Diggity Dog

Last week a friend of mine recommended a local landmark eatery. This well known establishment just happened to be a Hot Dog stand. Know before we get into the dirty details I think that you should know a little history about me. I'm what you would call a Hot Dawgasouir. I have been to the promised land and have seen the light when it comes to the Frankfurter. It all started at an early age for me when my father magically convinced me that dogs were meant to be served burnt. Still loved 'um. My obsession blossomed when an old man with a push cart in Cape May NJ set up shop 2 blocks from our house. My taste quickly refined the older I got and in High school I discovered an eatery known for grilling and then deep frying their dogs. I've had dogs in every ball park you can think of and at every back yard cook out. I dare someone to step to my Dawgness.

Here are a couple things that makes it or breaks it for me in a Dog place.

1. the ambiance- must be a shit hole type of place (tables carved with initials, standing room only sort of thing)
2. family owned with college drop out son running the grill. No chains sorry Nathans, good history but you sold out to the man when you went global.
3. toasted bun, this is a commonly overlooked must have.
4. self serve condiments. Only I know how much ketchup I like and god forbid that D- doesn't have a strip of relish on both sides of the bun.
5. make a solid milk shake with real hard ice cream. Black and white for me.
6. salty fries.
7. relatively cheap
8. a line, if there is no line it ain't worth stopping(if construction workers are in line I stop even if I'm not hungry, those guys know good food)
9. no waitress, I'll never eat a dog that isn't handed to me with dirty cashier hand.
10. Solid Name (some of my favorites: Swanky Franks, Texas Tommy's, Art's Cart)

FYI. If you are going to recommend a place to me, make sure it has at least 5 of these things otherwise don't bother. If your thinking your local place has all 10 or more.....Prove it. Invite me to join you for a footlong, wiener, frank or what ever you call it. Just remember, I fly, you buy. Till next time.....Peace

2 comments:

  1. 1. The slogan is "There are no two finer words in the English language than Encased Meat."
    2. They have a theme song
    http://www.hotdougs.com/songs/rockmix.mp3
    3. The owner Doug reminds me of a Nickelodeon character and ALWAYS works the cash register.
    4. The line is at least 25 people long at all times.
    5. On the weekends they serve Duck Fat Fries.
    6. Their weekly specials include dogs such as Spicy Jamaican Jerk Pork Sausage with Spicy Mango Dijonnaise, Roasted Plantains and Crescenza Cheese
    $8.00
    7. There is nothing even slightly pretentious about this place despite number 6.
    8. Regular dogs named after celebrities such as: The Keira Knightley (formerly the Jennifer Garner and the Britney Spears)
    Fire Dog: Mighty hot!
    $2.50
    9. Open only till 4 each day and not on Sundays b/c they are so successful they can do it like that.
    10. Come on out to the Encased Meat Emporium!
    www.hotdougs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you have to admit- the relish in the mustard was good. Otherwise- thumbs down.

    ReplyDelete